Saturday, February 28, 2009

Life is tough

I am at my wit’s end, and not in a good way. So --right up front-- let me remind you that the opinions in this space are m-i-n-e and not (necessarily) anyone else’s.

I’m finding that my tolerance for certain things is virtually non-existent these days. And the more I hear the more I think my ears are surly bleeding, and the more I read, the more I’d like to sit up in the bed, eating bonbons and watching “The Young and the Restless” through a flattering pair of rose-colored glasses.

I mentioned last week that my employer expects to soon have a reduction in force. No one knows who or when, and what little is known is not conveyed to everyone. The result? Three thousand people who, for the most part, are so scared of looking un-busy that pretty much no one even says hello in the hallways any more!

So that, in a nutshell, is my frame of mind when I tell you that all the crap in the news today is getting me down, and I have very little patience for things like the debacle that is the most recent stimulus package, which is loaded with enough pork to feed the world. (As if!) Things like her unroyal highness Nancy Pelosi supposedly not allowing new bills to be introduced in the House unless they meet her approval. Things like the fiasco that is Major League Baseball, including (and maybe especially my once beloved) A-Rod, who I can only think of as “A-Roid” now. Things like very alarming emails, in all caps, screaming of doom and gloom, when the sender didn’t take two minutes to verify the information on snopes.com. And if I get one more sappy, crappy email telling me to forward it to four/ten/twelve/all of my friends, I’m gonna scream. Loudly. For a very long time.

(Deep breath.)

So, in an effort to not spread my particular brand of poison (any further) today, I am sharing an email that a friend forwarded to me this week. Yes, at first glance it looked like a sappy, crappy one, and it did instruct me to forward it to everyone I know, BUT I trusted the sender, so I read it. And I liked it. So here it is, with only minimal editing, and no additions, by yours truly…

–oOo–

I've learned that…
- the best classroom in the world is at the feet of an elderly person.
- when you're in love, it shows.
- just one person saying “you've made my day” makes my day.
- having a child fall asleep in your arms is one of the most peaceful feelings in the world.
- being kind is more important than being right.
- you should never say no to a gift from a child.
- I can always pray for someone when I don't have the strength to help him in some other way.
- no matter how serious your life requires you to be, everyone needs a friend to act goofy with.
- sometimes all a person needs is a hand to hold and a heart to understand.
- life is like a roll of toilet paper: the closer it gets to the end, the faster it goes.
- we should be glad God doesn't give us everything we ask for.
- money doesn't buy class.
- it's those small daily happenings that make life so spectacular.
- under everyone's hard shell is someone who wants to be appreciated and loved.
- to ignore the facts does not change them.
- when you plan to get even with someone, you are only letting that person continue to hurt you.
- love, not time, heals all wounds.
- the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with smart people.
- everyone you meet deserves to be greeted with a smile.
- no one is perfect until you fall in love with them.
- opportunities are never lost; someone will take the ones you miss.
- when you harbor bitterness, happiness docks elsewhere.
- I wish I could have told my Mom that I love her one more time before she passed away.
- a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.
- when your newborn child holds your finger in his little fist, you're hooked for life.
- one should keep his words both soft and tender, because tomorrow he may have to eat them.
- life is tough, but I'm tougher.

No comments:

Post a Comment